Cointegration analysis between economic growth and environmental deterioration. An empirical analysis of sustainable development in Latin America and the Caribbean
Keywords:Economic Growth, Sustainable development, Income distribution, Environmental economics, Environmental impact assessment
This article is an inductive argumentation and an empirical-analytical paradigm that evaluates the existing relationship between Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capita and the Carbon Dioxide (CO2) in country groups of Latin America and the Caribbean considered developing economies in a period of time from 1960 to 2011. It was developed an Augmented Dickey-Fuller unit root (ADF), a Granger Causality Test and a Johansen Cointegration test. The results evidence the non-stationary of constrains in both countries. It was obtained a VAR model with two variables with a number of 14 lags - VAR2 (14) which were tested for causality by demonstrating a bidirectionality of GDP per capita to CO2 and vice versa, and it was confirmed that variables move through the time without varia- tions. It means they are stable, and that in both cases there is at most a vector or cointegration relationship.
I, ____________________________________________, author of the work and/ or article, adult, residing in the city of _________________, bearing the Identity Card/Passport n.° ______________________, issued in _______________________, in command of his/her/their physical and mental faculties, party hereinafter referred to as AUTHOR, signs the following authorization so the reproduction, publication, communication and distribution of the work can be done, under the following terms:
1. That, regardless of existing legal regulations due to the relationship of the parties to this contract, and any other existing legal presumption, the parties agree that the AUTHOR authorizes the Universidad del Norte, with the purpose of reproduce, publish, communicate and distribute the material called in the Revista de Economía del Caribe.
2. That such authorization apply to the copyright of the work, by any means, known or to be known, the public communication of the work, and the distribution of the work, directly or by third parties, purely educational purposes.
3. The AUTHOR undertakes to inform and declare the existence of this authorization and to preserve the right of the journal Revista de Economía del Caribe to the first publication of the work.
4. The AUTHOR states that the article is original and his/her/their exclusive creation, there being no impediment of any kind for the authorization he/she/they is/are giving, responding thereto by any action: claim, plagiarism or any other type of complaint that might arise about.
5. That such authorization is granted for free.
6. The moral rights of the author on the article correspond exclusively to the AUTHOR, in virtue of which, the Universidad del Norte agrees to expressly and rigorously recognize and respect them.